[Libreoffice] Installing beta versions replacing stable versions

Allen Pulsifer pulsifer at openoffice.org
Wed Apr 27 05:22:57 PDT 2011

> > On Windows it wants to package jre which is not there. So:
> > $ touch ../../solver/300/wntmsci12.pro/bin/jre-6u22-windows-i586.exe
> > $ dmake openofficedev

> OK, so there's a bug. It should only attempt to include the JRE when
> you build "openofficewithjre" target - so apparently the Product name
> used when building the dev version triggers the inclusion of the JRE.

At one point, the Sun guys decided that all Dev versions of OpenOffice would
include the JRE, while release builds would be distributed both with and
without the JRE.  So this was intentional at one time, but I agree it should
be undone.

To take this a step further, if it were up to me, I would make all Dev
builds *not* include the JRE, since LO will use an existing JRE if one is
installed, and that will generally be the case (a JRE was probably installed
with the last release version of LO).  Just in case though, if no JRE is
installed, LO will give the user a warning message when it is run and the
user can download and install the JRE separately.  This should be sufficient
for Dev builds.