[Libreoffice] Fwd: ./autogen failed.... on Mac OS X 10.6.6 Please advise me where to get help on this issue...

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 16:43:04 PDT 2011

oops forgot to copy the ML

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Libreoffice] ./autogen failed.... on Mac OS X 10.6.6
Please advise me where to get help on this issue...
To: Christian Lohmaier <lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com>

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Norbert, *,
>
> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Christian Lohmaier
>> <lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>

> But http://update.omnigroup.com/ lists 10.4 declining in percentage,
> but still clearly above 10% of Mac users

That is a non-negligible number indeed

>> You mean that if someone go to the trouble of providing patch so that
>> we can build a native 64 bits version for Mac
>> you would reject/revert these patches ?
>
> If it would change the default of not building against 10.4: yes, I
> would oppose the patch (at least that part of it)

ahh, ok so I'm fine with that position.
you're talking about the 'default', I'm talking about the 'option' of
building a 10.6 specific

I would like very much like to see willing new dev with some
competence in 'native Mac' coding
prepare the inevitable move to newer pastures...

> Look at the linux desaster. Despite so many people using linux,
> working with linux, none of the three betas would run on my system.
> I'm getting dizzy when I think about not "enforcing" 10.4
> compatibility and what it will mean to 10.4 support. People will
> (without bad intentions) introduce stuff that will not be compatible
> with 10.4, and even worse they then won't have the knowledge or will
> to fix it up.

Hum, even with the best intentions, and careful attempt to encapsulate
10.6 specific code in ifdef
there is still the risk of that... but fortunately right now, 10.6
coder _could_ (*) actually build
both version, for sanity check... there is no reason to believe that
such a dev would not care about breaking the code, especially when he
can easily test it himself.
And if 'he' does not care, we have a bigger problem on our hand...

(*) with a Dual socket PowerMac - and enough memory, one can build
--disable-moz/--disable-binfilter/no LANG/ in less than 30 minutes.