[Libreoffice] Suggestion and patch for "Confirmation of save format" dialog

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Wed Aug 10 04:00:24 PDT 2011

At 5:09am -0400 Tue, 09 Aug 2011, Caolán Mcnamara wrote:
> I think the whole existing dialog was a complete fail. Never liked
> the wording "Keep", seeing as the dialog also appears on first save
> of a new file, i.e. new document->save as .doc, and you get "Keep" MS
> format, which feels odd to me. Use/Save might be better.
>
> Maybe put "Save as 'X' anyway" into the current "keep" button, with
> "save in 'Y' instead" as the alternative save as ODF. I know I
> typically skip all explanatory text and go right to the buttons, only
> reading the text if I need to.

Having brought this up before, maybe 6 months ago or so, I'm aware that
this would be a time consuming task and that there's not a lot of
enthusiasm to do it, but man it would be useful to have a some sort of
document instrospection so that we could say /exactly/ what would be
lost in a non-ODF format.

On the other hand, I think it was you, Caolán who pointed out it might
just be easier to implement those bits ...

Sigh.  Would that I had the wherewithal and time to do it rather than be
a noisy bystander.

Cheers,

Kevin