[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Suggestion and patch for "Confirmation of save format" dialog

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Aug 16 04:18:15 PDT 2011

Hi Josh,

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 12:29 +0930, Josh Heidenreich wrote:
> I have made some additional changes to the dialog. I am considering
> these changes stage 1 of the process.

	wow - this is cool :-) I've hated that dialog with a passion for its
highly confusing choice, and the text above it which I've had to read
again and again each time I see it ;-) [ and seen my wife struggle over
too ]. Your patch makes it much better.

	I suspect this also ties into button ordering: I expect the sensible
choice to be the bottom right button under gnome etc.

	Another hint we have from the user over what they want to do is
probably the auto-selected filter from the 'Save As' dialog - ie. if
someone typed:

	"foo.doc"

	in there, to select the .doc type - almost inevitably they know what
they are doing, and shouldn't be bothered ;-) [ but perhaps the "don't
bother me again" check-box copes with them ].

	Anyhow - fantastic to have you polishing the UI like this, most
encouraging. FWIW - it is good practise to CC the:
libreoffice-ux-advise at lists.freedesktop.org list on this sort of thing,
so the UI guys can easily track and give advice on this sort of thing
without needing to scan the list.

	Thanks again,

		Michael.