[Libreoffice] about the removing of binfilter

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 23:25:54 PDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Kálmán „KAMI” Szalai
<kami911 at gmail.com> wrote:
> HI!
>
> On 2011-05-31 10:46, Michael Meeks wrote:
>> Come LibreOffice 4 the plan is to rip out the legacy staroffice binary
>> formats import filter to avoid the maintenance burden, build time, and
>> download size. If someone does the work to maintain it and/or turn it
>> into an extension is up to them - there is no-one stopping that.
>> Perhaps by whacking vcl, basic, svtools, framework, connectivity etc.
>> and statically linking them into there we can make it much more self
>> contained anyway. ATB, Michael.

> Whit this changes how many workhour,
presumably not that much since no-one is working on it... but still
now and again a change in core trigger a breakage in binfitler that
need fixing...
Of course that is not counting the work hours that would have to be
expended when someone report that there are actually broken and need
fixing...
nor is that counting the hours spent testing it (if we deliver it an
claim to support it, there should be some QA on it right? )

> build time,
On my linux tinbuild, with perfect ccache hit, buidling that represent
a 12% increase on the build time of that box.

> download size
On Mac, about 30MB, Linux about 35MB.

> can be saved per release?

Norbert