[Libreoffice] Naming clash on icuin.lib on Windows build

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Sat Aug 20 11:58:07 PDT 2011

> After many hours of hair-pulling investigation, I've come to find out
> that both icu and cui modules produce a static library named
> "icuin.lib",

Ah. Darn.

> The cleanest solution (to me) is to have icu produce icui18n.lib
> instead of icuin.lib,

Yeah, I tend to think so, too, now.

> but I'm guessing there is a reason why MSVC
> generates icuin.lib with the '18' stripped out?

Whatever reason there might have been, I am pretty sure it is obsolete by now.

A wild guess: at some point the import libraries had a "lib" prefix, and "libicuin.lib" fits 8.3... And then at some point the "lib" prefix was dropped, but the shortening of the rest of the name was kept.

So as Kohei says, let's just start using the same "effective name" for the two ICU (import) libraries in question when built with MSVC as when built on Unix or with MinGW: icui18n and icudata.  ICU is not part of our SDK as far as I know, so it shouldn't affect any binary extensions. I'll take care of that on Monday unless somebody beats me to it.

--tml