[Libreoffice] Merging old tags

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sun Aug 21 02:08:17 PDT 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:24:29 -0500
Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen
> <bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just pushed:
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/contrib/dev-tools/commit/?id=7616113f5e211dcd7cc3f3f432ffd08e1c43d48e
> > it merges the old tags from all the core split repo and makes
> > branches that contain at least the state of the joined repo at the
> > tagpoints, so that even old releases could be easily checked out
> > from core. It tags the merged commit and replaces the old per repo
> > tags with notes (see "man git notes"), It thereby reduces the
> > amount of tags in core from
> >
> >        2009 to a more manageable 1141
> >
> > It could do even more, but it seems the following tags:
> >        DEV300_m32-64
> >        libreoffice-3.3.0.4
> >        libreoffice-3.3.1.1
> >        libreoffice-3.3.1.2
> >        libreoffice-3.3.3.1
> >        libreoffice-3.3.4.1
> >        OOO310_m2-19
> >        OOO320_m1-19
> > have not all been properly tagged over all repos.
>
> These are probably cases where the tag was on a commit that vanished
> due to it being 'space/tab change only'
> you could re-create the few missing tags by locating the closest
> commit based on the old-repo... that way your script could cope with
> them.

The 3.3 branch is way undertagged because of this unfortunately with
most tags only being available for bootstrap. I disabled the merging
for 3.3 for now. Once somebody retagged 3.3 (EasyHack maybe?) we can
still run the script over it (at least having the final releases easily
accessible would be good IMHO).
As for the other missing tags: I dont think we will miss the
tags <DEV300_m64 much, but for the ooo/OOO320 and ooo/OOO310 branches,
it seems we lost a few commits which were present in the old repos,
because:
- the branches do not exist on core
- the tags have vanished
- thus "git gc", which we run on the server, would mercilessly kill
  those commits, if I get that right
At least I cant find:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/writer/commit/?id=3006a97452c49277166c348997387bcf1e77874bfind
in core. Not a big deal as those branches are rather old, but we should
keep that in mind, when we think about dumping the old repos for good.

Anyway, I updated the script a bit.

Best,

Bjoern

--