[Libreoffice] cppu::OPropertySetHelper ABI backwards compatibility

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at suse.com
Tue Aug 23 08:16:34 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 17:09 +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:53:59PM +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
> > Maybe due to some overzealous introduction of such helper
> > implementations into the UDK. Sure, it eases development of
> > applications, but at the costs we're facing now.
>
> The more helper we give to extensions, the less bugs they will have
> and the more they will conform to interfaces we want them to conform
> to. Looks like it can be worth the cost.

No, that's a wrong way to put it.  The whole purpose of having common
interfaces is to give implementation a freedom to implement as long as
it conforms to the agreed-upon interfaces.  Exposing the
*implementation* of the interface to the extensions basically throws
away that freedom, and we are paying for that now.

So, no, it's definitely NOT worth the cost.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc
<kohei.yoshida at suse.com>