[Libreoffice] Platform-specific OUTPATH variables

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Tue Aug 30 07:39:01 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 03:42:22PM +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:

> > > The 350 should be 340 (isn't it?) for 3-4 branches, so different output
> > > hierarchies when switching branches is nice to have in order to not
> > > spoil already existing outputs.
> >
> > Maybe, once a build only generates output in that single directory.  Until then, the point is rather moot, IMO.
>
> True, but instead of getting rid of solver/350 I'd rather introduce
> a module/$INPATH/350 ... on the other hand, having two cloned repos and
> build trees for different branches is a better approach. Just was
> thinking in terms of disk space, maybe a moot argument these days.

There are better solutions for the disk space problem.

In the past, projects such as XFree86 used symbolic links to create shadow
copies of directories: http://xfree86.org/4.3.0/lndir.1.html
That way, you can have two separate source trees and only use about the same
disk space than with a single one.

Git clone uses hard links when the source and clone repositories are on the
same filesystem. That also prevents using twice the space.

For my part, I'm using filesystem deduplication; even if I cp files, they
only take space once on the disk.

> So, I'm fine with removing 350.

I'll push the commit then :-)

--