[Libreoffice] Need help to generate patch with git

Eike Rathke ooo at erack.de
Tue Aug 30 17:54:28 PDT 2011

Hi Regina,

On Tuesday, 2011-08-30 23:29:09 +0200, Regina Henschel wrote:

> I'm still learning to use git and need some help. I have made a
> patch for issue 34431. But after I used the 'commit' command I
> noticed, that I had to change a file, which needs another 'commit'.
> Now the command 'format-patch' has produced two files, one for each
> commit. Is there a way, to get _one_ patch file?

There is, if you're willing to learn yet again something new ;-)
StGit (Stacked Git) is a tool to handle patches on top of Git, one of
its commands is stg uncommit, it turns the latest git commit(s) into
patches and manages them in a patch queue under git. Patches can be
combined using stg squash, and after that can be committed again using
stg commit.

stgit is also available as cygwin package and should come with manpages.
There's a tutorial at http://www.procode.org/stgit/doc/tutorial.html

> I want to use the same build to work on a different problem (Getting
> non-filled line end markers). How can I do that, so that later on, a
> 'format-patch' will generate only the new changes and not those for
> issue 34431 too?

StGit is predestinated for such tasks. You can push and pop patches
to/from your tree and work on different things in between, edit commit
comments of the patches in the queue at any time, and much more.
Creating a new patch on top of the existing is simply stg new, updating
the current patch in work is stg refresh. It integrates completely with
git, in fact the patches are git objects managed by stgit, patches can
be mailed using git format-patch / send-email  or stg mail.

> The current build process takes over 18 hours
> because parallelism not possible with make 3.8.1 in Cygwin. So I
> want to avoid to make a complete new clone and build.

Should be no need for that.

  Eike