[Libreoffice] minutes of tech. steering call ...

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Thu Dec 1 16:49:46 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 04:21:09PM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:

> * MariaDB intro (Monty)
> 	+ 100% drop-in replacement for C connector
> 		+ identical protocol, fully interoperable
> 		+ MariaDB adds extra stuff, but handshakes first
> 	+ client-side is ABI compatible with old mysql C library
> 	+ can continue to use the C++ connector; and get that to
> 	  use MySQL C library (Lionel)
> 	+ how much work is that ?

Modulo any bad surprise in the C++ connector build system proper, on
the LibO side it seems we only have to:

1) Change configure.in to detect / use the MariaDB lib instead of /
   alternatively to the MySQL C Connector. I see not reason not to
   leave people the choice; we want to build *our* official builds
   with MariaDB lib, but people are free to do otherwise on their
   local libs (GPL restrictions come into effect only for things one
   redistributes).

2) Change the definition of MYSQL_LIBFILE in mysqlc/source/makefile.mk

Note that we still (maybe?) have a GPL problem with using the C++
connector. Maybe, because MySQL stuff used to not be straight-GPL, but
GPL + exceptions for open source projects. Is this exception still
valid for new versions released by Oracle, and does it give us enough
wiggle room that we are happy with it?

Yes it is still valid:

 MySQL Connector/C++ is licensed under the GPLv2 or a commercial
 license from Oracle Corporation.

 There are special exceptions to the terms and conditions of the
 GPLv2 as it is applied to this software, see the FLOSS License
 Exception <http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception.html>.

As to enough wiggle room, my reading of it is that it exempts
LibreOffice from the requirements of the GPL, even if LibreOffice is
linked against MySQL Connector/C++. We only have to obey the GPL on
the connector itself, something which we have no intention of not
doing: we ship the patches we apply and the build system used as part
of our sources.

So my analysis is that we don't have a GPL-problem with the
Connector/C++.

--
Lionel