[Libreoffice] "make dev-install -o build" does a complete incremental build

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Mon Dec 5 21:00:18 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 01:22:16PM +0100, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 11:33:45 +0100
> Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel at mamane.lu> wrote:

>> After "make" in top directory, one is suggested to do

>>  make dev-install -o build

> That was an unintended sideeffect of the Makefile.in removal. I know
> about (thanks moggi), but do not know a simple fix restoring the old
> behavior.

> All the gory details:
> Unfortunately, make does not pass the -o stuff down during recursion

Well, in the "usual" way of using recursive make, that would indeed be
a bad idea: a target (file) name for "make" is not the same as a
target (file) name for "make -C subdir".

> (and I found no way to make it do that as the -o stuff is not in
> MAKEFLAGS),

Even stronger, it is ignored even if you put it in manually :)

> Possible workaround:
> Creating a quick-dev-install target, that does the same as "dev-install
> -o build" and update the docs/hints.

That looks good, yes. Or more generally, a variable INSTALL_QUICK,
which if set makes *all* install targets not depend on the build:

ifndef INSTALL_QUICK
 DEP_ON_BUILD:=build
endif

dev-install: $(DEP_ON_BUILD)
   foo

install: $(DEP_ON_BUILD)
   bar

Or maybe rather than "INSTALL_QUICK", make it "INSTALL_NOREBUILD"?

It would be used as in:

 make dev-install INSTALL_QUICK=1

>> Additionally, the incremental build (just after "make" successfully
>> finished, no source file touched/changed) relinks quite some libraries
>> and JCS/JAR files, I'm not sure why.

> For the JCS files it is pretty much unavoidable (...)

> As for the relinking, most of it should be solved with:

> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=2c4537471c932b65e6f72e41881b505c4bbad12c

> Are there other gremlins left?

I'll test again and let you know.x

--