[Libreoffice] Developing new built-in functions within LibreCalc

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Wed Dec 7 04:07:34 PST 2011

Hi,

once again this special mailing list settings :(
Here my answer to Lucas, now for the list too.

Lucas Aimaretto schrieb:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've developed my self a set of functions using visualbasic for Excel
> and they do work fine. I've also tried those on LibreCalc (as Macros)
> and they also work fine as well.
>
> I was thinking then on porting that code so as to use those functions
> as built-in functions within Calc, but, to be honest, I have no clue
> on how to do it. I'm not even a great programmer. I have very basic
> knowledge on programming.

Please tell more about the functions. What calculate the functions? Who
needs them? If they are only useful for a very special purpose, it might
be better to write an extension than to put them to core. We have
already some extensions, which are delivered together with LibreOffice,
and a lot of extensions for download.

> So, any instructions would help me out understand which is the right
> process on developing some thing new for Libreoffice.

Are those functions defined in ODF1.2 and missing in Calc? Then you can
follow the guide
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Calc/Implementation/Spreadsheet_Functions

Are those functions defined in regular Excel and not defined in ODF1.2?
Then there are only small changes to the guide needed.

In both cases you first need to build LibreOffice.
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/developers/
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_build

If those functions are more suitable for an extension, you might get a
starting point in
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_development and the
LibreOffice SDK will help you with a Developers Guide and examples.

Kind regards
Regina