[Libreoffice] Slow initialisation of template manager dialogue and subsequent screen corruption

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Dec 8 02:45:19 PST 2011

Hi Alex,

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 08:52 +0100, Alex Thurgood wrote:
> This is not the first time I've noticed on builds from master, but it
> appears to not have gone away, so I'm assuming no one else has noticed.

	Quite possibly.

> I have been testing my Linux master builds on 32bit Ubuntu 11.10 with
> Gnome Classic desktop environment.

	OK - so, just to check you're not using the gtk3 port here ?

> 1) Start the office.
> 2) Click on the templates button
> 3) Wait, wait, wait and wait some more...in all about 30 seconds

	Can you run soffice instead in:

	strace -ttt -f -s 256 -o /tmp/slog soffice

	and reproduce the bug there ? then we should be able to see in the
strace what is going on (do gzip it & up-load it somewhere ;-).

> 4) The template manager dialog finally appears.
> 5) Now try to move it around the screen, corruption occurs.
> 6) Leave it alone for another 30 to 40 seconds until the display stabilises.
> 7) Now try and drag the template manager window around the screen, it
> leaves a short trail of frames (redraw problem), like something out of
> one of those ghastly old Windows 3.1 mouse cursors.

	Unusual indeed - this piece should be in native code, and shouldn't
perform like that. I hope the strace shows what's going on :-)

	Thanks,

		Michael.