[Libreoffice] postresql-sdbc bits out of minutes of tech. steering call

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Thu Dec 8 16:52:20 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 11:03:08PM +0100, Alex Thurgood wrote:
> Le 08/12/2011 21:04, Norbert Thiebaud a écrit :

>> the connector can now be built on MacOSX using system postgresql.
>> (fixed a couple of WaE.. nothing serious)

> What was the size of your Mac OSX pg connector ?
> Did you actually test it ?

> Mine turned out to be 300kb, whereas on Linux it is 2.2Mb. Rather
> unsurprisingly, although the extension can be registered, it did not
> work (whereas on Linux it does).

Now that I think of it, since libpq is in a path like
/Library/PostgreSQL/9.1/lib/libpq.5.dylib, how is it supposed to be
found by the dynamic linker at runtime? That's probably the problem,
unless that directory is added to the equivalent of /etc/ld.so.conf on
GNU/Linux...

Try: otool -L /path/to/your/postgresql-sdbc-impl.uno.dylib
If that's indeed the problem, you can solve it with the
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH envvar, but then, how do we fix it for *all* our
users (that have an ABI-compatible libpq installed) automatically,
since their libq.5.dylib may be at another path than on our build
machine?

Or maybe MacOS X work "à la Microsoft Windows" for libraries in that
every application is supposed to bundle a copy of every dynamic
library it uses? I wouldn't have expected so.

--
Lionel