[Libreoffice] Writing a book w/F16?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Dec 12 15:05:01 PST 2011

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011, NOSpaze wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-12-10 at 10:17 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
>> I was wrong... in that case, I will answer.
>>
>> sgml has long been used for professional publishing ( see adobe
>> framemaker).
>>
>> The idea is that you can use fast/simple editors such as vi or emacs and
>> put in your own markup tags and save the processing (ie, generate
>> toc/footnotes/end notes/appendix/etc.) for later.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I'll read how to do a TOC, footnotes and
> commenting/tagging paragraps, summarizing in vim. If you can suggest any
> link, TIA. "your own markup tags"... I wouldn't use sgml/xml, but i'll
> wait for any links on how to apply them effectively.

Try AsciiDoc:

 	http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/

It's a lightweight markup language that maps to DocBook. And you can still
use LibreOffice for formatting and styling your document, or to convert to
PDF or DOC by using the ODF backend:

 	http://github.com/dagwieers/asciidoc-odf

A shameless plug ? Yes, I know, but I can use more testers :)