[Libreoffice] LibO daily builds on Fedora 16: oxygen GTK undefined cairo symbol

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Dec 13 03:37:09 PST 2011

On Sun, 2011-12-11 at 08:13 +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> I asked a bug reporter to retest with a daily, but he/she reports that
> the daily doesn't run on Fedora 16; see attachment. Anybody has some
> advice for him/her?

	Use a different theme ? :-)

> > But LibO exits almost immediately and writes this in console:
> >
> > create vcl plugin instance with gtk version 2 24 7
> > Screen
> >     Resolution/Size       96*96 1280*1024 17,0"
> >     Black&White           0 16777215
> >     RGB                   0xff0000 0xff00 0xff
> >     Visual                24-bit TrueColor ID=0x21
> > /opt/lodev3.5/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error:
> > /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/liboxygen-gtk.so: undefined symbol:
> > cairo_surface_create_for_rectangle
> > Exited with code '127'

	So - the basic problem of course is that we (LibreOffice) are linked to
our internal libcairo, but the gtk+ theme - that we dlopen is linked to
the system libcairo - indeed, it requires that since it has other
symbols.

	This is yet-another-victim of the (dumb, and badly performing)
'interposing' mis-feature in the ELF linker.

	If it was not for the librsvg rasterizer linking in vcl - we could
(potentially, Linux only etc.) use RTLD_DEEPBIND to load the vcl
plugins.

	As it is, I think the only really feasible way of fixing this is to
upgrade our internal libcairo - that seems fairly risk free to me, the
API/ABI is stable ... but of course we'd need to do that for 3.5 pretty
soon; lets discuss at the TSC.

	HTH,

		Michael.