[Libreoffice] What do we want from extensions module?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Dec 14 07:47:23 PST 2011

Hi Matus & Stephan,

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 12:34 +0100, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> I'm going to have a look at converting extensions to gbuild.

	Lovely :-)

> But I'd like to avoid converting unused things and extensions look old.

	Sure.

> I think at least source/config/ldap and source/xmlextract are not used.

	I believe you're right; IIRC the ldap thing was related to a
proprietary Sun tool to allow remote administration of networks of
OO.o's, I think we can fairly safely kill it - but Stephan is the expert
there.

> Probably the rest is used and we want to build it?

	I think so; I did my own audit (results below). I think we can kill the
'stardiv' directory too - it looks unused.

	The extensions/source/logging/ thing looks horribly over-engineered -
Stephan do we still need this stuff:

	+ ConsoleHandler - apparently unused outside this code
	+ CsvFormatter - ditto
		+ LoggerPool - only by the Java report wizard [!]
		+ is that really necessary ? - can we rip/replace ?
	+ FileHandler - used by smoketest/lo_smoketest.py ?
		+ also by the config's DefaultHandler key
	+ PlainTextFormatter - mentioned in config 'DefaultLogger' key
	=> need to unwind where / when / if those keys are used.
	=> unclear why we want to got this roundabout route for logging.

	Do we really need this UNO logger ? and/or what is it used for ?

	unoactivex also appears unused.

	xmlextract seems also to be unused (as you say).
			com.sun.star.comp.io.XMLExtractor

	Beyond that the code looks used & useful.

	Does that help ? :-)

	Thanks,

		Michael.