[Libreoffice] libicudata ICU data info

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 04:07:53 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 23:44 +0100, Eike Rathke wrote:
>  Given that only systems where ICU doesn't already exist
> (Windows and?) would benefit from this it's surely a benevolent task for
> some merciful soul ;-)

While distro packagers can get away with a system-icu alright, our
"universal" Linux builds always have to have icu in them anyway, can't
rely on there being a system icu there unfortunately, especially because
the soname of icu changes with every major version of icu so when there
is a possible system icu, you get libicu36 on RHEL-5 and libicu38 on
RHEL-6 etc. (or whatever the exact numbers are). Anyway, point is that
savings are worthwhile for universal Linux builds too I guess.

C.