[Libreoffice] What do we want from extensions module?

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 18 03:05:50 PST 2011

Hi Michel, *,

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 14/12/11 23:28, Peter Foley wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011, Michael Stahl wrote:
> [...]
> - the spotlight plugin:
>  no idea if that will actually work;
>  i really hope we use the system zlib always on MacOS X, because
>  the old makefile had this horrible thing in it:
>
> # we have to change the zlib install name, otherwise the plugin will not
> work
>    .IF "$(SYSTEM_ZLIB)"=="NO"
>    install_name_tool -change @executable_path/libz.1.dylib
> @executable_path/../../../../MacOS/libz.1.dylib
> $(MACOS)$/OOoSpotlightImporter
>    .ENDIF

Is changing the installname what you call "horrible thing"? Then you
might be surprised that this is not a scary thing at all. *all* LO
libs go through this.
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/solenv/inc/unxmacx.mk#175
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/solenv/gbuild/platform/macosx.mk#145
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/solenv/bin/macosx-change-install-names.pl

There is no concept of a library search path on Mac, all libs
explicitly reference the libs they depend on.By absolute paths or
relative to the specials executable_path and loader_path

I also suggest to read the tinderbox mails. As just removing what
seems like a hack to you without providing the "proper" solutin
(whatever that might have been in your idea) did broke the build. (the
salhelper filename dylib.3 vs just dylib - Norbert did revert that
commit today)

ciao
Christian