[Libreoffice] feature/gbuild_cppuhelper

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 11:49:42 PST 2011

Matúš,

I had intended to come back much earlier with feedback on your
feature/gbuild_cppuhelper branch, but the situation turns out to be
somewhat problematic:  I set out with a recent master (including Michael
Stahl's fix for adding the ".3" at the end of libuno_*.dylib install
names) on Mac OS X and cherry-picked the two commits from the
feature/gbuild_cppuhelper branch on top of it.  Two problems I
identified so far are:

- cppuhelper/CppunitTest_cppuhelper_qa_weak.mk cannot be included in the
build, as it depends on module bridges (cppu::getCaughtException needs
the C++ UNO bridge library), which already depends on module cppuhelper.
  A short-term solution is probably to disable the test again (it looks
like it was not enabled before gbuild'ification, right?).

- odk/pack/checkbin fails, complaining about missing HTML documentation
files for various entities from cppuhelper.  It appears that autodoc
cannot correctly parse things like

   /** ... */
   class CPPUHELPER_DLLPUBLIC AccessControl { ... };

to associate the documentation comment with class AccessControl, so HTML
documentation for cppu::AccessControl is missing.  (The same autodoc
problem already hits salhelper classes like salhelper::Condition, but
went unnoticed because odk/util/check.pl fails to check for any
salhelper content.)  The mid-term solution is certainly to get rid of
autodoc (and hope that alternatives are mature enough to have no problem
here).  A short-term solution might be to adapt odk/util/check.pl to not
check for the missing HTML files, and get the mid-term solution in place
until LO 3.6.

With those two obstacles out of the way, builds kept failing with
strange crashes when running executables that themselves were created
during the build, like the help compiler in module helpcontent2 or UNO
bridge test code in module testtools.  Some of this I could track down
to unclean rebuilds, but others remained rather mysterious.

I then went back to a clean recent master (as of this morning), without
the feature/gbuild_cppuhelper changesets, and doing a clean build of it
fails for me as well, in helpcontent2, sdext, and tail_build.
(Curiously, current Mac OS X tinderbox builds apparently only fail in
tail_build.)  So, it looks like master needs to be fixed first before
verification of that branch can continue...

Have a nice Christmas time,
Stephan