[Libreoffice] [REVIEW 3-5: Late feature] Improvements in the header / footer behavior

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Thu Dec 29 05:15:18 PST 2011

Hi Cedric, all,

I have been playing recently with the great new header / footer
indicators, and there were 2 things that I considered suboptimal from
the UX point of view:

- Appearing / disappearing of the controls after 1 second

  I noticed that most of the time when I am using that, I am terribly
  impatient even if it is just 1 second, and end up clicking the
  header / footer area hoping that it will appear earlier; similarly for
  disappearing.  I played with that, and with the faster appearing /
  disappearing implemented by Thomas Collerton, there is no need for the
  1 second timeout it seems; so I got rid of that:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=64e08fd3c5980b74bb958dc566c229d92db18726

- Showing both the header and footer controls, while the user is able to
  use just one of them at a time

  While it makes some sense from the implementation point of view to
  keep the headers and footers close in the code, from the user point of
  view I don't see why we should show both at the same time; the user is
  able to edit either header, or footer, but never both at the same
  time - she has only one caret ;-)  So I decoupled that:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=cce76e658af88813e17dea4f04388a29d7e582df

Both this is in master.  I recall the headers / footers were implemented
together with our UX guys, so I don't push it to libreoffice-3-5 as a
normal fix, but rather use the 'late feature' track - with more review,
hoping in consensus about this :-)  I believe the above mentioned
changes make the use of the new feature even more slick and sexy.

So - can we agree to cherry-pick this to libreoffice-3-5 too? :-)

Regards,
Kendy