[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [REVIEW 3-5: Late feature] Improvements in the header / footer behavior

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 30 09:18:23 PST 2011

Hi everyone,

> Yeah ;-) - it is hard to make everyone happy, though I am not that
> convinced that introducing one more option is the right solution.

Agree with that completely.

> So - what I'll try to do is that the appearing will start later (not 1
> sec, but maybe 200 - 500 ms), but the functionality will be available
> immediately when the mouse is there; so the impatient user who knows
> where to click will be able to perform immediately, while the extensive
> mouse traveller will not be annoyed.  Hopefully that will be the best
> from the both worlds :-)

Sounds good. Almost wanted to propose that yesterday, but didn't dare
because you had patches already.

>> And... is it possible to show the controls only on a single page? See
>> the attached screenshot - it's absolutely crazy! %-)

Not pretty... but a corner case nevertheless. If you have enough
resources to fix all of these rendering bugs for 3.5 that would be
great, but hopefully these won't hurt too much otherwise.

So, for the future, we have the following drawing bugs present here:
* Page breaks: When moving with the mouse cursor from one page break
to the next very quickly, their little tabs don't disappear any more
* Page breaks: The dotted lines are drawn above the little tabs

Another one that annoys me quite a bit (but can't be seen in Ivan's screenshot):
* Page breaks: the dotted line seems to move forward instead of just
being overlaid by the tab.

> :-) The thing is that you are really editing all the pages at the same
> time (header applies to all of them).  The way out of that might be
> showing the dashed line on all the pages, but the control only on the
> page where you have the mouse pointer.  I'll try how hard will that be.

Agree with your solution, but note: the header indicators are shown on
_all_ pages, not just those with the same header style. If there's a
page using another header style, no indicator should be shown at all.

Regards,

Astron.