[Libreoffice] [PUSHED] remove unused declaration - an unlikely fix for armel segfault in regcomp

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Wed Feb 2 13:01:42 PST 2011

At 3:31pm -0500 Wed, 02 Feb 2011, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 13:44 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
>> Not quite sure what you mean by "legacy Intel", but if you're
>> referring to all single-processor CPUs, they still power most of
>> the budget brand new laptops!
>
> Surely those guys are hyper-threaded by now ? at least the Atom
> (which is cheap as chips [sic] ;-) is.

I recognize this comment was in gest, but thought I'd chime in with a
tidbit.  I believe that Intel removed HTT after the Pentium 4 chip.  Of
note, as well, is that hyperthreading (HTT) is not as "universal" an
upgrade as true multi-core chips.  In fact, the general practice in the
High Performance Computing (HPC) community is to turn off hyperthreading
because it degrades performance for most workloads.

A further note is that there is some skepticism as to the security of
HTT, in terms of side-channel monitoring of in-core process data.

Actually, now that I just wrote the above, I seem to recall a discussion
of HTT technology in the Nehalem chip.  When I have time, I might
research that ...

Cheers,

Kevin