[Libreoffice] git submodule

Tobias Rosenberger son at ich-habe-fertig.com
Sat Feb 5 11:12:39 PST 2011

I meant the repos in the bootstrap repo, of course, not the build repo.
Am 31.01.2011 16:23, schrieb Norbert Thiebaud:
> I concur. my limited understanding of how submodule works lead me to
> believe that
> it would not be a nice fit with what we do
>
> 1/ it is more appropriate when the 'modules' have fairly independent
> life-cycle, which is not
> really our case. sure calc/writer/impress/base are fairly isolated
> from one another, but the coupling with libs-core/libs-gui/ure/...
> is pretty tight
The submodules are independent in that they are seperate repositories
and have their own commits, but as I understand it this is the case with
LibreOffice already. On the other hand, a certain commit of each
submodule is tied to every commit of the superproject. I don't know how
this is done right now, maybe in the download script. Or do you get the
most recent version of the subrepos no matter which version of the build
repo you have checked out?

I thought of git submodule when I saw the 'download' and 'g' scripts.
I'm not sure what they are doing exactly, but 'make fetch' and
'download' seem to be similar to 'git submodule update --init' and 'g'
seems to be similar to 'git submodule foreach'.

Tobias