[Libreoffice] Tools - Media Player

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Sat Feb 12 13:01:59 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 23:08 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:
> > what the heck do we do with "Tools - Media Player"? Do we need this
> > within an office suite? Is anyone using this?!

	:-) My suspicion is that ~no-one is using it.

> Without adding too many thoughts, here is the corresponding thread with
> some answers and the original specification (linked). Maybe this helps

	The link to the spec. is:

	http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/media_player/MediaPlayer.sxw

	Which (on reading) suggests to me that the only useful uses of this
beastie is two fold:

	a) to allow playback controls to appear / be used when playing
		+ presuambly we can / should do this for embedded media
		  anyway in some suitably tasteful way.

	b) to allow video files to be previewed from the gallery
		+ cf. the difficulty of building galleries, and the
		  fact that I've never seen any video in one
		+ cf. the fact that I just failed to add an mgp
		  or ogg to a gallery, via the properties dialog.

	So - I think b) is fairly bogus (or the gallery addition code needs
some real work), a) is a real use-case; it seems we throw up the media
player for preview sounds in the shipped gallery.

	So - IMHO the player-let is useful, but I'd be amazed if people really
used it in anger; it is rather lame. Removing it from the menus in
everything but impress might make some sense (?)

	ATB,

		Michael.