[Libreoffice] How to setup an own tinderbox

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 12:42:33 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Jan Holesovsky <kendy at suse.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you want to make sure LibreOffice master builds on your favorite
> platform, setup a tinderbox! :-)  I have just blogged about that:
>
> http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/blog/archives/monthly/2011-02.html#2011-02-18T21_38_49.htm
>
> Should be pretty easy; in case of trouble, please let me know.

since there is a reference to the 'daily' build in the link above, let
me provide some update on that:

The idea is to provide 'daily' build or more exactly 'recent' build.
These build will be available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/

The directory structure is

daily/<platform>/<branch>/<iso-date>/xxxx

<platform> is the build platfrom. right now only MacOS is being populated..

<branch> is the branch the built was done on. right now only only
'master' is being built. but in the future I have plan to be able to
provide build for select feature/yyyy branches or integration/xxxx
branches and also maintenance branch (like 3.3.1, but the current
infra is not equipped to deal with the old build method, so this may
not happend until maintenance branch of 3.4 series). these branch will
probably not be 'dailies' unless more machine 'volunteer' to churn-up
these build.

<iso-date> is the date when the pull -r was done. it is NOT the date
when the build was started or the build was finished.
using <iso-date> one can have a pretty good idea of what is included
in the build.
furthermore the build.log, also delivered (see below) contain at the
top, the content of ./g branch -v
which will tell you exactly the level that was built.

the content of the final directory is files in the form:
<branch>~<iso-date> <regular delivered filename>
there is also a file <branch><iso_date>.sucess.log.bz2 that contain
the build log of a sucessfull build
or <branch><iso_date>.failed.log.bz2 if the build has failed for some reason
in the later case, that file will be the only file in the directory

there is also a directory
daily/<platfrom>/<branch>/current which is a link to the latest
completed successful build
that link is updated only when a successful build has been completely
uploaded. (uploading a successful build can takes hours).

using the 'current' link will allow you to have the latest
'successful' build and be sure that everything has been uploaded
already.
so that is the url you want to use to automate or semi-automate the
fetching of the 'daily' build.

There is no decision yet about how many of these daily build we will
keep. most likely we will keep at least everything up to the last
successful build included (so that current always point to something).
other than that how many of them we keep will be driven by resources
availability and usefulness.

a possible scheme could be : keep the dailies of the current week,
then keep the last successful build of a for each of the 3/4 past
weeks.

Norbert

PS: I use a handful of bash script to build and deliver the daily
build. I have not uploaded them yet. I need to set-up a git repo or
squat an existing one (but it cannot be bootstrap, because the script
is manipulating bootstrap and other git repos switching branch,
pulling etc.. that cannot be done reliably if the scripts you use are
in the repos you are manipulating that way). until then, if you are
interested, you can drop me an email.