[Libreoffice] How to start with some code?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Feb 22 02:30:52 PST 2011

Hi Rogerio,

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 00:32 -0300, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:
> Ok I have found a glitch on the BrOffice product.

	Cool :-)

> The Message when asked for a password for "protecting" a document is
> wrong (See screen shot - the ($MINLEN) function is in view)

	What fun. So - perhaps this is some translation problem - possibly
there is a magic string in English that got mangled in the translation,
and thus is not substituted. So first I'd check the l10n on that string.

> How do I get to contribute to something like this? Just writing a Bug
> report?

	Nah - you should dig into the code; that is far better - then you can
help fix it yourself.

> How do I find this message in ALL the code of LibreOffice?

	So - first, check out bootstrap (as per the home-page), and then run
configure / 'make' which should download the entire source archive. Or
better, try to transfer it from a Brazilian friend on a USB key - it is
some big git download.

	Then - you want to do something like:

	find -name '*.?rc' | xargs grep -H "<string I saw in the UI>"

	Unfortunately, you need to run in English to get that string - that
will find the .src file that that dialog is defined in - from there you
can easily find the code that handles that dialog.

	We have an easy hack open to make a web UI to make this much easier for
people, sadly not tackled yet - perhaps you could have a look into
it ? :-)

	HTH,

		Michael.