[Libreoffice] sw: numbering misbehaviour

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Wed Jan 5 08:24:52 PST 2011

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 20:17 +0000, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 19:59 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
> > Seeing as LO is based on XML as the document format it should be easy -
> > all "reveal codes" is is a window with text and all the markup visible.
>
> The thing is that, while the file format is XML, the file format doesn't
> bear that much relationship to how the application actually
> store/applies properties. There aren't actual codes embedded in the
> strings whose display can be toggled on or off, so something like that
> would require faking it all up.

	ie. we could write a 'reveal codes' thing, that would show you the
true, underlying document structure. But - what you would see there
might make you turn prematurely grey - particularly as you turn on/off
red-lining etc. :-) and it would not be that similar to ODF.

	IMHO the joy of reveal-codes is to feed the sub-clinical neurosis that
there might be something bad hiding behind your document (that perhaps
you can't see). Indeed, it is often user's experience that they press
<some keybinding> and the paragraph is unbelieveably indented in some
very odd way they can't undo ;-) and perhaps 'reveal codes' might help
with that (or perhaps not).

	Either way, it is a big job, though perhaps a fun one.

	HTH,

		Michael.