[Libreoffice] Thoughts on releasing ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Jan 7 04:40:39 PST 2011

Hi Cor,

	Sorry for the long delay; Christmas and all that.

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 10:07 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
> > 	How does that sound to people ?
>
> That sounds good.

	:-) good.

> Which still not answers the detail: shall each language group confirm
> the release status of the point-zero or 0.1 releases ?

	Oh ! I suggest that, post 3.3 we simply ship on a time based release;
and that if the translation is not there by the code freeze, then there
should be some last-minute relational process to get it in. Of course,
we should have a nice hard string freeze, as early as possible as well:
of course, the 3.3 experience has been rather rushed - trying to get
twenty moving pieces into position concurrently. My hope & expectation
is that we fix this with a firm, time based release for 3.4.

	So - I'd want to avoid approvals, but also try to get incremental
updates out much more quickly, so we don't have three+ months of
slightly imperfect translations - hopefully that meets peoples needs.

> I've also seen mails from Petr, Jean-Baptiste and others on the expected
> time needed for QA. Which is a related subject. And there also the
> vision was shared, that many bugs are found while people work, not only
> when people test.

	Right; that is quite so - and hence I think developing the model and
awareness of a point-zero release out there is useful I think.

> This supports an approach where working with developer-builds is made
> easy and promoted. And of course easy communication about the issues
> found etc etc.

	Right ! and we of course need automated builds, and nightly snapshots
of both master and stable branches (which are coming) - luckily with our
all-in-one model, we can hope to do this nicely for all core languages
in a single package, every day for Windows which should help shrink the
QA loop I hope.

	I believe Sophie & Cedric are working on something like this, for Linux
initially at least, and we finally have both Win32 and linux tinderboxes
going - so the direction of change is positive I hope.

	Thanks,

		Michael.