[Libreoffice] LibO Programmatic Identifier on Windows

Jesús Corrius jesus at softcatala.org
Sat Jan 15 04:28:04 PST 2011

Hi all,

I guess this is the right list for this message. Don't worry, I will
not go into many technical details ;)

On Windows, every application has his own programmatic Identifier for
a concrete type of documents (or extension). The identifiers use the
following format acording the the Microsoft documentation:

ApplicationVendor.MyProgram.Version

Although this is obsolete as many programs now can open many different
kinds of documents. For example, this is the way Microsoft Word uses
them:

Word.Document.12 --> .doc files opened by Microsoft Word version 12
(Office 2007)
Word.OpenDocumentText.12 -->  .odt files opened by Microsoft Word
version 12 (Office 2007)

In the case of OpenOffice.org, the identifier is this one (version
numbers are not used):

opendocument.WriterDocument.1 --> .odt files opened by OpenOffice.org
(any version).

(This identifier is wrong as it is too generic. But well, we can't do
anything about it)

We need our own identifier. For now I have been using this one for no reason:

libreoffice.WriterDocument.1

Cheers,

--
Jesús Corrius <jesus at softcatala.org>