[Libreoffice] Serious bug on LO Windows installer

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Jan 21 02:49:13 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 17:32 -0800, plino wrote:
> Wow.  It took 12 hours for my post to show up... I'm really looking
> forward to a real Forum...

	It did ? can you substantiate that ? I read your post in the morning,
and Tor (after doing some real research & work on it) replied only three
hours later.

	Anyhow - if there is a lag, the solution to mail delivery problems is
not (IMHO) forcing everyone to use yet-another awful web forum thing :-)

> I agree Tor, only an advanced user like me (and apparently you :) ) has an
> empty All Users Desktop folder. And obvioulsy I wouldn't allow a desktop
> shortcut if I wasn't testing ;)

	Great :-)

> But what worries me is that the installer modifies the attributes in a way
> that the folder CAN be moved or deleted...  This is a system folder, Windows
> should never allow this to happen. What is the installer doing?
..
> I never said it was a LO specific bug. But I gave up on reporting bugs to
> OOo a long time ago :)

	Heh :-) it is a good bug to find - and we should fix it. In fact - it
would be wonderful if you could have a dig into the setup_native/ code,
and/or the solenv/bin/make_installer.pl MSI creation to see if we can
find what exactly does this. Quite possibly it is something 'obvious'
that just a bit of reading and thought - even with little to no
progamming skill can wind out of the code.

	Anyhow, I suspect we were just paniced a bit by the serious-ness of
this bug, and relieved to find it is not a regression vs. OO.o :-)

	Thanks,

		Michael.