[Libreoffice] web based libre office

Samphan Raruenrom samphan at osdev.co.th
Thu Jan 27 02:32:48 PST 2011

Another idea for a shorter-term solution for this is, instead of web-based
LibO, someone make a synchronization software that relay changes between
off-line ODF and online Google Docs, a la Google Cloud Connect for MS
Office.

Working with Google Docs is somewhat painful because it still lacks many
familiar features. An ideal solution would be to use a fat client that store
the ODF in the cloud. Many users can use the fat client to edit the document
at the same time while the synchronization software relay the changes made
by different users. Google Docs would be nice as the cloud storage except
that ODF lost a lot of formatting when convert to Google Docs.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com>wrote:

> Hi Ged,
>
> On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 15:06 +0100, Ged Wed wrote:
> > whats the support for doing a web based open office ?
> > Ajax based with a restful JSON or XML model.
>
>         Well, it is not an impossibly bad idea :-)
>
> > I am asking because this seems like such a good move.
> > Libre Office would then have a very compelling solution that neither
> > google Docs or MS Office can really compete against.
>
>         Riight; except they are already in the market place - which makes
> us at
> least two years away from there, even if we had a product now :-)
>
> > - what is important is that both the fat client and the thin client
> > are both adapted towards the client / server model together. This
> > makes both version easy to maintain, change control, testing etc
>
>         Well - since we have a fat client; I would personally focus on two
> things:
>
>        a) feature parity between fat and web client
>                + no-one else does this.
>                + fat client for off-line, web for (who? ;-)
>
>        b) abandon hope of off-line web editing: that's why you have the
>           fat client right ? :-)
>
>        which means, we have to re-use the fat client on the web server;
> that
> means all sorts of good things: we need to make it smaller, more
> reliable, faster to start, etc. etc.
>
>        and it also makes some things a lot easier; IMHO doing remote
> rendering
> by cutting at VCL and proxying rendering (wherever possible) to a remote
> canvas, -might- work in semi-linear time.
>
>        I'm thinking a re-hash of:
>
>        http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2010/11/23/gtk3-vs-html5/
>
>        Though of course VCL's rendering APIs are (now) substantially less
> pleasant than gtk+'s.
>
>        HTH,
>
>                Michael.
>
> --
>  michael.meeks at novell.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

_/|\_ Samphan Raruenrom. Open Source Development Co., Ltd.
Tel: +66 38 311816, Fax: +66 38 773128, http://www.osdev.co.th/