[Libreoffice] web based libre office

Ged Wed gedw99 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 06:55:03 PST 2011

I just want to add that the idea of using Google Docs and the WedDav aspects
is a good first step.
Sure it allows seamless editing via the web and synchronisation back to your
own harddisk OR cloud harddisk.

But its a first step. I think that getting a XML to DOM component that
is JavaScript based would be a better approach.
I knwo its very ambitious but its amazing how powerful JS is these days in
browsers.
Also i think a read only version would be a good first step.
For that a read / write version could be done in stages
implementing various functionality progressively.

This is very hard stuff but i think trying out a prototype to do the XML to
DOm conversion with AngularJS is worthwhile.
I want to add that the xml namespace to JS binding is apr of AngularJS. Its
how it "just works". So its a very concise solution with high encapsulation.
Many people ( including me) are afraid of JS because its untyped, and so
hard to work with large code bases. I agree, but the thing i noticed about
AngularJS is how it can map XML to DOM very easily and with high
encapsulation to whatever fragment in the XML document you bind to.

I just dont know the Open Office code base well enough to know what server
side parts can be leveraged.
Any C code can be leverage server side using a Ajax style approach using the
logic encapsulated inside the c libraries, and exposed on the client side
perhaps.