[Libreoffice] [Patch] Accelerate Perl installer builder

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 27 08:21:09 PST 2011

Hi Jan, *,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Jan Darmochwal <jdarmochwal at gmx.de> wrote:

> The attached patch makes make_installer.pl save up to 25% time on my
> linux machine.

Wow - impressive :-)

So my question is: Did you just skim over the installer to identify
the part that is slow, or did you profile it yourself? And how did you
measure the improvement?

(and did you also try different variants of the regex handling, like
incorporating the
$longlist =~ s/\s*,\s*/,/g;

into the split? /\s*(,\s*)+/

I also kind of wonder why there is a hash involved instead of just
using an array to begin with - as only the keys are used anyway. Is
using a hash really faster?

(well, then again I don't think that the longlist part is what
accounts for the massive speedup - or does it?)

> I'm going to do some more patching on make_installer.pl. Is it okay
> to post my patches on this mailing list?

Definitely :-)

ciao
Christian