[Libreoffice] Rationale for replacing Java with anything but c++ (was Re: web based libre office)

Thorsten Guenther thorsten.guenther at aposso.de
Fri Jan 28 07:48:06 PST 2011

Hi Ben,

Am 28.01.2011 15:55, schrieb BRM:

> Why go through the effort of (i) scripting LO and (ii) enabling your application
> to do that, when you could simply
> just make a UI to (a) show the existing document to the user in a view mode
> (read-only), (b) get the specific data you need in your application,
> presenting controlled interfaces to do so, and (c) write the ODF document
> yourself?
>
> While it may seem easier to incorporate an existing product like LO to do the
> document editing for you; it is likely far
> easier to just do it yourself and use a tool like ODF Tool Kit to write the
> output document and load it for display - at the very least,
> showing the user the output document with any kind of program (LO, OOo,
> Symphony, Calligra, etc.) would be very easy to do without having to enhance any
> of them for scripting.
>
> $0.02
>
> Ben
thanks for you thoughts. I want to be as close as possible to the office
application. For example the user could create document templates with
defined field names which are populated with external data. Sure there
are solutions for every scenario to avoid using and scripting LO but I
see value in providing this kind of functionality in an office context.

Regards
Thorsten Guenther