[Libreoffice] Kicking off 3rdparty packages

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Sat Jan 29 07:36:35 PST 2011

> it ships own copies of dozens of standard 3rd-party packages,

"standard" from the viewpoint of up-to-date Linux distros, that is. Don't forget that LibreOffice is supposed to run also on not-so-up-to-date Linux installations. (As far as I know, the generic Linux build of LibreOffice is, or am I confusing with go-oo times?)

And of course, various other Unixes too (although I don't know if we have any active builders/packagers except for BSDs), on which one can be even les sure that there are up-to-date "standard" 3rd-party packages available.

And then there is Windows.

In general, isn't a LibreOffice purpose-built for some modern Linux distro *already* using the system copies of these libraries, not its own copies?

--tml