[Libreoffice] building index at Win32 install time ...

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Mon Jan 31 08:37:20 PST 2011

> 	Sure; so if we look at:
>
> setup_native/source/win32/customactions/shellextensions/registerextension.cxx
>
> 	It -looks- to me, as if we should duplicate / implement a new extension

Er, no need to implement a new shell extension. What could be done is to implement a new installer custom action for the installer, that creates the indexes. (The above registerextension.cxx is such a custom action, that registers the LibreOffice shell extension. But it itself is not called an "extension".)

An installer custom action is a DLL that can do basically whatever is necessary. The MSI database contains a setting that directs at which stage it is invoked (and what named function in it is invoked.) It can query the MSI installer that is calling it and ask what components are being installed, or set some components to not being installed, etc. (using something close to SQL if I recall correctly. That's what I do in the sellang custom action which deselects UI languages that it guesses the user is not interested in.)

In this case, it should be run after stuff has been installed, and it should presumably query which dictionaries were installed, and then create index esfor them.

It should presumably also be run at uninstall and remove the indexes. Although that is maybe not so important...

If the custom action requires some LibreOffice DLLs, it might get interesting to make sure those are found, hmm.

--tml