[Libreoffice] Java screws el reg ...

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Jul 1 09:07:09 PDT 2011

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 03:30:37PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/01/mac_os_x_10_point_7_preview/page2.html
>
> 	hypothetical scenario, if you had just installed LibreOffice and
> 	written a few hundred words of copy, you wouldn't be able to
> 	save your work if no JVM had been installed when the program was
> 	launched. Apparently the file-saving functionality is one of the
> 	Java bits and LibreOffice needs a restart for saving to work.
> 	Who knew?
[...]
> 	Is this really so ? it'd be great to isolate and kill whatever Java is
> required to save anything on Mac ?

I'm not running MacOS X, but all my LibreOffice builds are done without
Java and the only obvious broken feature is the Contributor Credits link
accessible from the help/about menu.

Java can be safely disabled from all builds (and the saving code fixed if
it really needs it on MacOS X) IMHO.

--
Francois Tigeot