[Libreoffice] One Git v2.0

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:15:29 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Jan Holesovsky <kendy at novell.com> wrote:
> Hi Norbert,
>
> On 2011-06-30 at 15:37 -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>
>> So, plan B, I tried to use git fast-export/import instead of git
>> filter-branch. That plan proved successful and now the conversion
>> itself takes about 30 _minutes_ (add another 15 for a final git gc of
>> the resulting core.git and a couple of hours to upload it all)
>
> This is really great! :-) - so in fact, we might be able to do even a
> transition without outage / without closing the 'old' repos, right?  If
> we do the conversion to master of the new onegit repo, and then
> consequent exports to onegit's branch few times a day, we would be able
> to merge from there to master, if somebody manages to commit to the old
> repositories, right? ;-)

I'm sorry  but I'm not sure I'm following what you envision.

That being said, it looks now that the 'outage' would be just about 3
hours... and based on pass experience if we pick sunday 01:00 UTC -
04:00 UTC, it is likely that no-one will notice the outage ever
occurred.

The sequence of event would be to put a 'End-of-time' label on all our
current repos, and then to add the following in the server-side
pre-commit hook:
#!/bin/bash
if  `git symbolic-ref HEAD` == "refs/heads/master"  then
   echo "Due to the OneGit migration, You cannot commit in this master anymore!"
   exit 1
fi

That would block commit to master, but leave the possibility to work
on the branches.

Anybody that get caught we dangling local commit to master can easily
git format-patch them and git am them on top of core.git

I will try to send an email to every-one that has a freedesktop.org
account that allow to push to our git repos well in advance of the
migration,
using :
getent group | grep "ooo-build" to get the list of ids and
<id>@kemper.fdo as email.

(btw: that is 82 committers to date)

Norbert