[Libreoffice] LibreOffice browser detection

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Mon Jul 4 09:12:46 PDT 2011

Hi Michael,

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:36:44AM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 18:07 +0200, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> > I'm not running MacOS X, but all my LibreOffice builds are done without
> > Java and the only obvious broken feature is the Contributor Credits link
> > accessible from the help/about menu.
>
> 	Oh - that is curious indeed - that should just launch a web browser to
> take you there which shouldn't really involve java at all - most odd.
>
> 	Can we get an strace of that not working ? :-) perhaps it is just your
> browser being configured incorrectly.

I've found the cause: the browser "configuration" is a hardcoded list of browser
names ;-)
Look for firefox in :
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/libs-core/shell/source/unix/misc/open-url.sh

None of them are installed on my machine, it's no wonder the link didn't work
(besides, who runs netscape or mozilla these days ?).
Simply making a symbolic link from one of the installed browsers (seamonkey) to
'firefox' was enough to fix the dialog box.

The implementation of open-url.sh has to be fixed but besides changing the
program names to more modern equivalents, I've no real idea how it should be
done.

Oh, and by the way there are some "Internet" related options accessible from
the Tools / Options menu :
  - choice of proxy
  - search engine (with preselected choices from the 90s: Altavista, ...)
  - choice of email program
  - browser plugin

Besides the choice of email program, I don't see what they could be used for.
Did StarOffice include a complete web browser at one time ??

--
Francois Tigeot