[Libreoffice] [REVIEW 3-4] [PUSHED 3-4] Update mdds to 0.5.3

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 18 13:28:48 PDT 2011

Hello Michael, Kohei,

       I feel extremely uncomfortable (personally) introducing a couple of
> thousands of LOC change between RC1 and final for 3.4.2. We're in a
> triple review mode because our changes will not get much testing before
> they are unleashed on tens of thousands of new people per day.
>
>        I'd prefer to see this slip into 3.4.3 (personally) - shame if the
> problem is there, but the chance of regression seems high - even though
> the code is nice and clean of course :-)

I understand your concerns but in my opinion the current situation is even
worse. I think we will call 3.4.2 ready for enterprise use but calc is
limited to simple documents because complex documents need some minutes to
load and most people won't expect that. Even worse I read several comments
on the german user list reporting that they think calc freezes when you load
complex documents and suggest to stick with 3.3.

I think we can't expect from an enterprise ready version that you can't load
complex documents. I know that we may introduce problems in some corner
cases but it will be even worse if we can not work in normal use cases with
complex documents.

So I think the question is how important it is to be absolutely safe that we
don't include any bug when we fix a serious problem. In my opinion in this
case the fix for the bug is more important but others might have different
opinions here.

Regards,
Markus