[Libreoffice] Mac OS 10.4 Support

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 20:57:29 PDT 2011

>Like for example?
>Mac OSX was the first platform to be WaE free, despite some
>over-pickyness of the compiler. What pain did gcc 4.0 bring?

actually I'm compiling with SDK 10.5 and gcc 4.2.1 right now and it is
picking up quite few more WaE.
so gcc-4.0 is not over-picky, quite the contrary... and that is
probably why we get away with -Werror on Mac.

Also 10.4 + gcc 4.0 means 32 bits only... I'm finding issue with 64
bits support and deprecated stuff in Cairo for instance( like
something similar to
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo-bugs/2009-February/002951.html
)
none of these are that hard to fix... but they take time... time that
will be in even more short supply if we wait until we are _forced_
suddenly have to support a new SDKs (whether that means 2 build or
not). so the sooner we iron these quirk the better.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Norbert, *,
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> the attaches patch, allow for --with-mac-sdk=10.x to be specified
>> the default is the lowest SDK available in /Developer/SDKs
>
> This is pointless, it is the same as dropping 10.4 support.
>
>> Note: the patches themselves do _not_ 'drop' 10.4 support or anything
>> like that.. they just make it possible to try to build with something
>> else than 10.4...
>
> That is just twisting the truth. Sure, 10.4 support is not "dropped",
> but the effect is the same. So I'm still not pleased with it.

Ok so what if I made the default to 10.4 in configure.in so that one
can only build against another SDK if he explicitly ask for it ?

> Tor's message contains the only valid reason for dropping 10.4
> support: You absolutely need to use a newer compiler.
>
> Any other reason than that is invalid. Then whether the baseline is
> 10.4 or 10.5 - when using new features of Lion, you have to provide
> two codepaths / a fallback nevertheless.

The problem right now is that you CANNOT use any other SDK since 10.4
is hard-coded
so 'new feature' are out of question, two codpath/fallback or not.

Norbert