[Libreoffice] Mac OS 10.4 Support

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Sun Jul 24 13:41:51 PDT 2011

The more I look at the "aqua" code (to get inspiration / hints for iOS CocoaTouch), and read the various notes from the MacOSX porters in the OOo Wiki, and read Apple documentation, the more I suspect / realize  that the "aqua" MacOSX port is mostly using obsolete APIs. ATSUI , HITheme*, etc. Probably this isn't news as such.

Note: I am not saying that we should drop support for 10.4, or drop the "aqua" port. But at some point, if somebody wants to work on modernizing LO on MacOSX, we probably should tell him/her that it would be best to do a completely separate port for 10.6 or later instead of adding hacks that check the OS version at run-time and optionally use different APIs to the "aqua" code.

(Sure, in such a fresh port as much code as possible should be reused from the "aqua" port, of course.)

--tml