[Libreoffice] Mac OS 10.4 Support

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 19:44:42 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Norbert, *,

[..]
> If matching SDK is available, use that, otherwise use whatever
> "oldest" SDK is available and hope for the availability-macro stuff
> (and more importantly the linking) doesn't fail.
> This would of course require some more modification to the compiler /
> linker arguments to support that method.

Wait.. isn't that exactly what you were so adamantly against ? the
'silently break compatibility' by not using explicitly the 10.4 SDK ?

I was adjusting my thinking as follow:

1/ by default we require 10.4 sdk. if it is not there we fail autogen.
(that is --with-macosx-sdk=10.4 and
--with-macosx-deployment-target=10.4 by default)
2/ the builder can override and say use 10.x sdk
(--with-macosx-sdk=10.x). using MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 by
default
3/ the builder can over-ride MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET using
--with-macosx-deployment-target=10.y (of course 10.y <= 10.x)

that way:
The default behavior is exactly what it is today: strict 10.4
Devs can start experimenting with newer SDK level, for building
_and/or_ for target.

Norbert

Note: sure, we could have
--with-macosx-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk but that is just
more painful to write for no good reason.