[Libreoffice] About merging and people not paying attention

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Wed Jul 27 07:03:36 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 14:35 +0200, Robert Nagy wrote:
> I would like to ask my fellow developers to be more careful
> about merging and _touching_ files at all that they don't
> understand. During the last two days I had to fix several
> problems that were introduced by merging changes, hell I
> even found files with _conflicts_ in them and the guy who
> pushed it did not even bother to have a look.
> This is painful and tiring, so whenever you merge, please
> double check before pushing and please do not touch files
> that you don't understand because you _will_ break things.

So, I basically agree with you that we all need to be careful when
merging etc.  Having said that, when you have a branch with a large set
of code changes to merge, sometimes your mind slips and occasionally you
overlook one or two things.  So, I don't want us to resort to this
accusatory tone of voice when something like this happens.

And I don't think any one of us want to introduce breaks intentionally,
and I tend to believe that we developers do spend reasonable amount of
time double-checking changes unless there is evidence to support
otherwise.  So, let's just take it as it is, and try to be supportive &
fix things instead of going on a rampage to put a blame on those who
work hard to improve the code base.

I'm pretty sure you mean well, but I'm just a bit concerned about your
tone of voice in your email.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc