[Libreoffice] Platform-specific DLL suffix usefulness

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Jun 1 00:50:33 PDT 2011

Hi Francois,

On Tue, 31 May 2011 23:33:06 +0200
Francois Tigeot <ftigeot at wolfpond.org> wrote:

> What you said about the gbuild migration makes sense, but I have the
> impression you were thinking about removing completely the suffix.
> [...]
> The final library name would be the same, it would not be problematic
> to remove DLLPOSTFIX a little bit at a time.

what I meant was when you change at:

http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/bootstrap/solenv/gbuild/platform/linux-INTEL.mk#32

gb_Library_DLLPOSTFIX := li
gb_Library_DLLPOSTFIX := lo

gbuild will with this one change rename all gbuild libraries from
libfooli.so to libfoolo.so on Linux Intel. And it will assume all
libraries build by the old build system to also be named libbarlo.so
instead of libbarli.so. So if library bar is build by the old build
system and library foo by the new one but links against bar, they would
need to be renamed at the same time.

Given the stuff in tail_build links against pretty much everything,
doing that you would not make you change a little bit at a time, but
in one big move -- at least for a given platform. I also consider that a
not a Bad Thing(tm) given the stuff I said about this causing lots of
rebuilds.

But you will find that out yourself when you start working on this, I
guess. ;)

Best,

Bjoern

--