[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Performance improvements for calcs' sheet actions

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Jun 7 07:02:09 PDT 2011

Hi Cor,

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 20:41 +0200, Cor Nouws wrote:
> >> 	So, I wonder if the UX guys don't mind us never updating a progress bar
> >> more than twice per second (say) [1] we could do this for all progress
> >> bars in one place.
>
> Would really like to have an impression how that looks like. In a world
> where people and software go more and more about eye-candidness ..

	Oh; hmm, well - it will mean that if you are doing a fairly fast
operation, you are likely to see only two frames per second of the
scroll-bar, so perhaps you see only 15%, and 75% and then it disappears.
Perhaps more interestingly, if it is a sub 500ms operation, perhaps you
never see the scroll-bar at all (and no associated UI flash-bang around
accommodating it) - though perhaps we do that now.

	From a user-experience view, things that previously were slow - spend
their time rendering pixel-by-pixel increments in the scroll-bar at high
frequency now get substantially faster. Of course if something is
-really- slow, then we'll still get that pixel-by-pixel look - just
updated only at 2 fps.

> NB: I don't see any mail from
> libreoffice-ux-advise at lists.freedesktop.org coming in ... so prolly some
> administer work to do, and people expecting mail missing it?

	Oh ? I get my mails back from the list, and it should be un-moderated I
think; Thorsten ?

	HTH,

		Michael