[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Performance improvements for calcs' sheet actions

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 13 06:07:08 PDT 2011

Hello Christoph, Michael,

I already talked to Micahel about this on IRC. We have already our
performance problem when we call ScProgress::SetState/SfxProgress::SetState.
So we must think about a better idea to show the progress than updating the
state for each column.

I think your ideas rely on updating the state often and updating the UI only
several times, but as long as updating the state takes too much time this
won't solve the performance problem.

Showing a smooth progress is even harder because the amount of work can't be
calculated before but will vary depending on the sheets.

I have this work on my list for 3.5 but must think a bit about how I can use
your ideas to increase calc's performance. At the moment my first idea would
be too save the state in ScProgress and update SfxProgress only if needed,
but this must be carefully planed. Another way would be to think about why
SfxProgress needs that much time, but this would affect whole LibO.

I'm open for any suggestions.

Regards,
Markus