[Libreoffice] About fd and session ends.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 07:37:19 PDT 2011

2011/6/13 Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com>:
> On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 14:05 +0200, Stef Bon wrote:
>> b. the gentle way. It should be possible somehow that the system
>> informs the app (here writer) that the underlying filesystem will be
>> unmounted, and the app should take the right action. I do not know
>> how, maybe via the fd, is there a certain call (fnctl, or somehing...)
>> or somethings else.
>
> The gio api from glib2 provides a fair amount of this sort of thing,
> e.g. callbacks when something is unmounted or whatever. There is one
> standalone example of it in sfx2 for detecting if the unix quickstarter
> is running while LibreOffice gets upgraded.
>
> Theoretically could pull out the "standard" file open/close yadda
> backend, reimplement it on top of the gio api instead, and then gio will
> tell you when a volume has been unmounted, which gives some sort of
> possibility to detect the situation and a basis for somehow propagating
> it usefully to the top layers.

I do not know the gio api.

But the issue I'm trying to address is just before, to inform the user
just before about the filesystem a file is on is going to be
unavailable.

Another suggestion done here by someone else is to offer a message
with all the apps and related files open by them still using the fs.

Stef